Registered Massage Therapies
Massage therapy from an RMT has a therapeutic effect on the soft tissues of the body which can improve an individual's health and well-being.
Physical function of the body can be developed, maintained, and improved. Massage therapy can help relieve or prevent physical dysfunction and pain.
Massage therapy has developed into a regulated health profession that involves hands-on manipulation &/or stimulation of the soft tissues of the body. This includes muscles, connective tissues, nerves, tendons, ligaments and joints.
Treatments have a therapeutic effect on the body which can improve an individual's health and well-being. Physical function of the body can be developed, maintained, and improved. Massage therapy, along with consistent home care, can help relieve or prevent physical dysfunction and pain.
What to Expect
On your first visit, a complete case history and physical assessment of your current health will be conducted. From this, we will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan.
Your privacy will always be respected. Together we will decide clothing options, areas of the body that may be treated, and the depth desired (i.e. relaxation or deep tissue). At any time you may stop the therapist and ask for modifications.Further recommendations:
- Don't eat a heavy meal before the massage.
- Please arrive 5 minutes early for your appointments so you have a few minutes to rest and relax before starting the massage.
- Be sure to mention to your therapist any changes in your health or medications since certain conditions need to be treated with greater care.
- If you feel discomfort at any time, let your therapist know.
- Increase water consumption after and for the day of the treatment.
- If appropriate, taking a 15-20 hot Epsom salt bath will help release the toxins and further relax the muscles.
A typical massage will last anywhere from ½ hour to 1 hour in length.
Precautions of massage
Depth of massage will be established by mutual agreement. You should be aware that some mild discomfort may occur with deep tissue massage. We will establish a pain scale system. You are responsible for letting the therapist know if you are experiencing higher levels of discomfort than agreed upon. Do not wait until the level of pain becomes intolerable.
What conditions is massage used for?
Many people find that therapeutic massage has the following benefits:
- relaxation and stress relief
- pain relief in the case of headache, neck and back strain
- improved circulation
- increased energy
- increased flexibility
- improved range of motion
- centering the mind and body
- MVA (motor vehicle accident), whiplash and back pain
- repetitive strain injuries
- sleep disturbances
- discomfort due to pregnancy
- headaches and migraines
- stress and anxiety relief
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- and much more